Every importer and exporter must be able to demonstrate a compliance program that details how their business handles imports and exports. It is not acceptable for a compliance program to be a static document. Regular reviews and updates must be implemented to display an organization’s ability to adapt its internal systems and processes in-line with changes to internal procedures and regulations.
The Core Elements of a Compliance Program
The Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) and the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC) both have guidelines of what should be included in the compliance program.
DDTC suggest a comprehensive compliance program includes the following elements:
- Organizational Structure;
- Corporate Commitment Policy;
- Identification, Receipt and Tracking of ITAR Controlled Items/Technical Data;
- Restricted/Prohibited Exports and Transfers;
- Recordkeeping; and
While BIS suggest the core elements of a compliance program are:
- Management Commitment;
- Continuous Risk Assessment of the Export Program;
- Written Export Management and Compliance Program;
- Training and Awareness;
- Cradle to Grave Export Compliance Security;
- Compliance Monitoring and Audits
- Reporting Export Violations; and
- Corrective Actions in Response to Export Violations.
Benefits of a Compliance Program
There are many benefits of establishing and/or improving your business’ Compliance Program. Two such reasons include:
- A compliance program outlines your expectations on how your import and export transactions must be handled, reducing the chance of violations;
- A compliance program can be a mitigating factor for reducing penalties if your company violates the regulations.
Why work with us?
We can build effective compliance programs that keeps your business on track. We will work with you to understand your business’ needs, problems, and challenges, allowing us to design, draft, and implement, a program with your requirements in mind.
With us you get:
- Design, draft and implementation of an import and export compliance program;
- A step-by-step guide for employees on how to follow the compliance program;
- Training to ensure all levels of the organization understand the requirements under the compliance program;
- A customized compliance program to suit the unique requirements of your company’s unique environment.
Get in touch today to see how your systems and processes can be used to protect your organization from penalties. Call 214-810-0204 or e-mail email@example.com to find out more.